Having smart children with a good intelligence quotient is one of parent’s dreams. Intelligence can basically be formed, not only identical with genetic or hereditary factors, but can be obtained from various things, such as good nutrition to improve physical stamina, games, practice or study, exposure to new ideas, information, culture and positive habits that are formed early. Intelligence itself have a lot of elements including the ability to reason, planning, problems solving, thinking abstractly, and understanding complex ideas.
Parents in this case have a big role in forming positive habits to their children. One of the ways is to increase the child’s potential in having a good and enjoyable learning experiences. Learning experience refers to any interaction, course, program, or other experience in which learning takes place, whether it occurs in traditional academic settings (schools, classrooms) or nontraditional settings (outside-of-school locations, outdoor environments), or whether it includes traditional educational interactions (students learning from teachers and professors) or nontraditional interactions (students learning through games and interactive software applications).
One of activities that parents can choose for their children is reading. Reading is the skill by which children get information from books, computers, worksheets and boards to learn everything, such as math, science, literature, social studies and more. Reading books is an integral part of human lives. People can not normally live without reading skill. Children who are behind their peers in reading struggle with low self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy. Thus, parents have to teach them how to read in many ways.
There are many benefits that parents can get with the habit of reading books to children. Here are some of the benefits;
Improve Children Vocabulary
Through reading, children will get used to hear new vocabulary. It will enrich them in understanding the various words around them. It is also one of the most effective ways to make the brain growth because children are stimulated to enrich their language.
Improve Communication Skills
More vocabulary children have, it will help children to communicate more easily. They will be more confident in speaking because they have various words and sentences. A good arrangement of speech will slowly influence the way they communicate. In addition, when parents reads the book to children it is better to have a good level volume that can be heard by them (read a loud). Because by reading a loud, parents could teach many communication skills; how to speak, listen and read well.
Introducing a New Concept
Parents can introduce various concepts in life through reading activity. Starting from the introduction of various colors, shapes, letters, numbers and others.
Train the Ability to Think Logically
Reading can train children to think logically. Reading can also help their initial thinking skills. When parents read a book for a child, they will learn to understand cause and effect, learn to uphold logic, and think abstractly.
Children will also learn about the consequences of an action, and the basics of what is right and wrong. Get used to children to dare to make their own decisions.
Reading can train children’s concentration, how they remain in a calm position, listen and process information to be well received. If the children are accustomed from an early age, their concentration are trained, they will be easier to carry out and complete task with maximum results. These early skills are necessary for success in school, health, career and life.
Develop imagination and creativity
Reading the diversity of life can open children’s minds. The information they receive can help develop their creative side of the brain, because children will be provoked to have more and more curiosity. It can motivate them to make an innovation through the power of imagination and creativity.
Open the horizon
Reading is the window of the world. Various information can be obtained by reading. The more children reading means the more children have horizons of knowledge. Children who are accustomed to reading early will be more confident because they have a wealth of information.
How if the children do not have ability to read or do not like to read?
Children without reading ability will face many problems in understanding, mastering, continuing, and using science and technology to produce quality products. They also tend to experience difficulties in their social life, because they cannot communicate well because the knowledge that they have is not as much as their friends around them.
Lack of reading will cause one’s creativity to not develop. As we know that creative mindset will be realized if the person develops mindset and is able to respond to the environment quickly and this can be trained with reading activities. Creative ideas that emerge can certainly make a person more productive or provide benefits not only for themselves but also those around him.
Children with lack of reading will not knowing the actual information so that they have difficulty to improve the quality of themselves. Almost all of information in this world can be obtained by reading.
After knowing many advantages of reading for children, and also disadvantages when children lack of reading, now we will learn how to make children love reading. As parents, you have to be more powerfull to guide your children to love reading, because reading is the key of success in life.
In this technologies era, most of children prefer to waste their time using the latest gadget than reading books. Thus, parents need to facilitate their children with various of books that suitable with their age stages and also creating literacy environment for them.
Here are some tricks that can be applied by parents who want to teach their children to love reading
- Use the book as a tool for interaction, especially when a parent holds his toddler and reads a picture book with a loud voice. Read aloud for a few minutes at a time, but do it often. Don’t worry about finishing entire books — focus on pages that you and your toddler enjoy. Hearing words helps to build a rich network of words in a toddler’s brain. Children whose parents frequently talk/read to them know more words by age 2 than children who have not been read to. The more stories you read aloud, the more words your child will be exposed to and the better he or she will be able to talk.
- Make a routine schedule where children have to read books together with their parents. Parents can read stories before going to bed or at breakfast in the morning.
- Choose a book that is suitable for the child’s age, brightly colored characters and pop-ups that can be touched and stimulate the child’s way of thinking and visuals.
- Repeat this routine, even if parents feel sleepy and lazy to read books specifically for toddlers. Repetition is very important to be done at the age of a toddler so that children are able to exercise their memory of basic words before being able to speak.
- Read books by expression and changing sounds. Toddlers will enjoy reading. Also invite children to participate by answering questions to make children more interested.
- Don’t let children watch too much TV or play gadgets because of this acitivity tend to be passive. Non-interactive activities will turn off children’s learning of critical thinking and creative thinking skills.
- Choose books which attract the children interest whether it’s through favorite cartoon characters or certain activities that make it more attentive.
- Invite children to visit the library, where children can be spotted by many books and stories reading moments, especially from children’s book writers.
- If children are not interested in reading a book with parents, try to give them a complete book with a CD that can be listened to with a book open in his lap.
- If the children are not able to read, begin the habit of telling stories like folk tales without books so that their imagination are trained. You can also use pictures around the child and their favorite.
- Challenge the children to read the words around them. Start by reading the traffic signs and eventually children will learn that words are an important part of everyday life. Help the child to learn the meaning behind words, not just see the picture and the letters.
- Let the children speak with words that they have been heard. By inviting children to talk and waiting for the child’s response, you can stimulate curiosity in your child and make him more daring to express.
- Show your personal love for the book so that children can imitate it.
There are many ways to stimulate your child to enjoy reading. You can start practicing some of the strategies above, or if you want an easier method and guaranteed success, you can choose Reading Head Start, a program that will help you to accompany your child’s daily life in order to have a new enjoyable learning experience and make your children really love reading books.